Orange & lead small have a great article out on helping students focus during small group. Read the full article here.
Here’s the condensed version, if you don’t have time to catch the whole thing:
– Set the stage: let students know group is starting and ask them for 15 minutes of their attention
– Ask an icebreaker question, something interactive, like the fav movie they have seen this month
– Ask a question about the talk: What did you agree with/disagree with, where are you being challenged
– Ask a question about the Bible verse: What is this passage saying? What didn’t you understand?
– Ask if there is prayer requests
– Close in prayer, silently or out loud.